But why exactly would anyone want an Elderberry?
Let me begin with the standard disclaimer: Bitterroot Botanicals of Idaho's Wild Crafted Elderberry Syrup is manufactured, marketed, and sold strictly as A FOOD PRODUCT. But, just because a food product is delicious doesn't mean that it can't have significant health benefits. So let's dive right into what makes Elderberries, and specifically, Bitterroot Botanicals Wild Crafted Elderberry Syrup so special. I'm going to start with just five key points about each of these topics.
FIVE THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT ELDERBERRIES
1) ORAC or Oxygen Radical Absorbency Capacity. The ORAC value of a food accurately measures and quantifies how many Oxygen Radicals a food can absorb and deactivate. ORAC is measured in Trolox Equivalents (TE), whatever that means lol. Basically I'm using the value as a means of comparing Elderberries to other foods touted for their antioxidant properties. Most of us know that Oxygen free radicals are contributors to cancers, aging, degenerative diseases and infections (including viral infections). The ORAC value of Elderberries is 10775 TE, as compared to tart cherry 1700-5000 TE, pomegranate 4479 TE, and blueberry 5562 TE. The Antioxidant properties of Elderberries are a result of flavonoid compounds including; Isorhamnetin, kaempferol, and quercitin. Quercitin itself is a very interesting antioxidant and is frequently used to fight inflammation, pain, and allergies.
2) Studies have shown that Elderberries may shorten the duration of viral infections and reduce symptoms. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28198157/ This article states " While the extent of black elder's antiviral effects are not well known, antiviral and antimicrobial properties have been demonstrated in these extracts, and the safety of black elder is reflected by the United States Food and Drug Administration approval as generally recognized as safe. A deficit of studies comparing these S. nigra products and standard antiviral medications makes informed and detailed recommendations for use of S. nigra extracts in medical applications currently impractical." Copyright © 2017 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. Of course informed and detailed recommendations are impractical due to a "deficit of studies". Big Pharma hasn't figured out a way to profit from Elderberries. One 2004 study of 60 people with influenza found that those who took 15 mL of elderberry syrup four times per day showed symptom improvement in 2 to 4 days, while the control group took 7 to 8 days to improve (10Trusted Source).
Furthermore, a study of 312 air travelers taking capsules containing 300 mg of elderberry extract three times per day found that those who got sick experienced a shorter duration of illness and less severe symptoms (11Trusted Source). The "trusted source" footnote is a part of the article, not my footnote.
3) In addition to Quercitin, which is used in many commercial preparations, Elderberries also contain Shikimic acid, which is an intermediary agent used in "Tamiflu". More large companies are taking notice of the popularity of Elderberry products and looking to profit from them. Even Robitussin has an Elderberry cough syrup, although the Elderberry content is advertised as a laughable "15 elderberries per dose"
4) Elderberries assist the body in Cytokine production which is a crucial part of the bodies immune response. " A 2001 study involving healthy volunteers taking the elderberry product Sambucol® revealed that one of the ways Elderberry supports healthy immune function is by assisting in cytokine production and regulation. Cytokines are proteins used by the body for communication between immune cells and local tissues. They increase or decrease, as needed, to suit the body's needs."
5) In short, using Elderberry products may not prevent you from getting the common cold, the flu, or the latest variant named after a Greek letter, but they may very well shorten the duration of the infection and reduce symptoms. Hmmmm, sounds a lot like the same claims made by Big Pharma regarding their most recent vaccines.
Other reported potential benefits of Elderberries are:
Improved heart health by reducing cholesterol, uric acid, and blood sugar levels
May have cancer inhibiting properties according to European studies
May improve symptoms of sinusitis, bronchitis, and allergies
May have some antidepressant properties.
Remember, none of these claims have been evaluated by the FDA, and few studies have been done because pharmaceutical companies have not yet figured out how to synthesize and profit from the unique composition of Elderberries. However, the studies that have been done indicate positive results and for some reason Elderberries have been used for centuries!
Wow!!! That was boring and dry. Let's move on to something a bit more lively.
FIVE REASONS YOU SHOULD BUY BITTERROOT BOTANICALS OF IDAHO's WILD CRAFTED ELDERBERRY SYRUP INSTEAD OF ANOTHER BRAND
1) We have the coolest meme ever in our title. Okay, maybe not a valid reason to buy our product, but definitely worth some style points;)
2) Bitterroot Botanicals Wild Crafted Elderberry Syrup is hand crafted in small batches by us, and only us. Every step from picking and cleaning berries to labeling and final shipping is done by hand. We have Zero automated processes. This means that even after bottling, every product is handled at a minimum of 5-6 times. It also means that when you purchase from us, you are supporting a small business that believes in sustainable harvest, organic ingredients, and in turn supports small, local businesses. HOWEVER (see item 3)
3) We are a licensed food manufacturer, governed by both FDA and Idaho Department of Health regulations. Our products have been evaluated and approved by an independent laboratory for content, processes, and shelf stability. BY LAW, we have to follow the same process, use the same ingredient ratio, and keep batch records including bottling temperatures, batch PH, number of units and size of units per batch. We have filed with the Idaho Department of Health an HACCP (Hazard analysis and critical control point) plan detailing these processes and record keeping. Basically, we follow the same food manufacturing regulations that large corporations do including: Food Product Safety Manager certification, Master Food Processor certification, product recall plan, the list goes on forever. For us, all of this "Red Tape" insures that our customers always get a consistent and safe food product. Isn't that important to you?
4) There are hundreds of large companies offering products similar to ours. I would refer to reason number 2 in regards to that. There are thousands of "cottage industry" manufacturers making Elderberry Syrup, and I would refer you to reason number 3. We have, and continue to, invest incredible amounts of time, energy, and other resources into our business to bring our customers the best of both worlds. Hand Made Quality and Attention to detail with Processes that deliver safe food products with integrity.
5) We only use Wild Crafted and Organic ingredients. We believe that Mother Nature provides us with the finest ingredients for our products without the use of chemicals and artificial fertilizers. If we are lucky enough to have a bountiful harvest, it is because Mother Nature provided it. If not, Mother Nature had a different plan for the year, and she had a reason. Our Organic ingredient suppliers are like us, small independent businesses that believe in quality and sustainability above all else.
Thank you for reading this. We hope you enjoyed it and it gave you "food for thought". ENJOY IN GOOD HEALTH!!